What is File Browser on VPSrobots?
VPSrobots is equipped with a built-in File Browser that allows you to manage and transfer files to or from your Linux server safely over Security Shell(SSH). This tool aims at simplifying the transfer of files on a Linux server and make things done in a visual way. Moreover, it offers support for online compression /uncompression in the formats of .tar.gz/ .tar.gz/ .at.bz2 and .zip, which maks it a great effort and time-saver especially when handling large files.
The File Browser comes with a quite simple and intuitive interface, which consistes of three parts:
1. The Tool Bar on the top
A set of function buttons use the tool in a more efficient way.
- Root: Take you back to home directory wherever you are.
- Upload: Upload a file from local to the server,
- Download: Download the file to local,
- New folder: Create a new folder/file,
- Reload: Reload the page,
- Delete: Delete the folder/file permanently.
- Back icon: Return to the parent directory.
2. The Main Window
Where all directories and files on the server are listed. edit a file using the functions on it’s right-click menu.
- Download: Download the file from your server to local.
- Cut: Cut the file (files and folders) to make it ready on your clipboard.
- Copy: Copy the file (files and folders) to make it ready on your clipboard.
- Paste: Past the file (files and folders) on your clipboard to current locations
- Delete: Delete the file (files and folders).
- Open with…: open the file with a specific tool on from local.
- Rename: Rename the file.
- Extract: Bring up the operation panel where you can unzip the commpressed file to the location of your choice.
- Compress: Bring up the operation panel where you can compress the file (files and folders) into a .tar.gz/ .tar.tgz/ .tar.bz2 .zip file and specify a location for the compressed file.
- New: Add a new file or folder.
- Refresh: Refresh the page.
- Attribute: See and edit attributes of the file. The File Name and Authority is editable, to alter the permissions on the file, tick or uncheck the letters R W X setuid. Remember to click Apply to ensure that the new settings take effect, or click Cancel to discard changes and exit. You can get the accurate file size by clicking Calculate button. The Group and Owner have been set as root by default.
3. The Task/Log bar on the bottom
There are two tabs in the bar which you can switch bewteen each other Task tab indicates the progress of each tasks and provides you action to Cancel a performing task before it completes. Log tab keeps the logs of all the completed tasks.
How to compress and extract files with the File Browser?
The tutorial below assumes you have connected to your Linux server using VPSrobots.
- Log in to a server and navigate to File Browser from the left navigation menu.
- Now you see all the directories and files are listed on the page. Open the right-click menu of the desired file and choose the Compress action.
- This will bring up the operation panel, from the drop-down menu, choose the format you want the file to be compressed into, the specify a location for the compressed file. At this moment, VPSrobots supports .tar.gz/ .tar.tgz/ .tar.bz2 .zip file.
- Select the compressed file and right click to open the option menu. Choose Extract start uncompressing the file to current folder. Depending on your file size, it will take several minutes to extract it. Once done, the extracted files will be displayed in the list.
By now you should have seen how easy and efficient it is to manage and transfer files on your Linux server using this File Browser, you can even benefit more from it by using it together with many other great tools and features on VPSrobots, for example, Create a Website in Subdirectory.