One of the biggest challenges for a website owner is to transfer a website to a new server, it is also a daunting task that a website owner faces. This article will help you learn a step-by-step guide on how to transfer a website from your current VPS to a new one without downtime.
Before following this guide, please pay attention to the statement below:
- VPSrobots can transfer a website smoothly between the operating systems below:
Debian 7 to Debian 7, Debian 7 to Debian 8, Debian 7 to Debian 9, Debian 7 to Ubuntu 14, Debian 8 to Ubuntu 16, Debian 9 to Ubuntu 14, Debian 9 to Ubuntu 16, Debian 9 to Ubuntu 17.
- When transferring a website from the older Linux operating system to the latest one, the older version of themes and plugins may not be compatible with the latest operating system.
- We will do our best to ensure the compatibility of Linux distribution, Apache, MySQL, and PHP. But we can’t guarantee that your every application is compatible.
- So we strongly suggest that after website migration, please make sure your new website working well. Don’t delete the current website until the new website works well after your domain is resolved to the new server.
- Log in VPSrobots client, connect to the current VPS and the destination VPS with password or SSH private key.
- Click Site Transfer (VPS to VPS) option in the left side menu to open Websites Transfer dashboard. Choose your current server and destination server from the drop-down list, and if you don’t install VPSrobots server-end yet, install it by clicking Install button.
- After installing VPSrobots server-end, the websites on the current server and destination server are listed on the two each window. Select your website from the current VPS and start to transfer it to the destination VPS by clicking Transfer Now button. It will finish in a while depending on the size of your website.
- Resolve your domain to the destination VPS, see our guide on How to resolve a domain to a Linux server. We suggest you to keep the previous website active at least for a week. In case, there were any issues during the website transfer process, your original website is accessible.
In this article, we learned how to transfer a website from a VPS to another one with VPSrobots. You may also want to see our guide on how to back up a website with VPSrobots.