An SSL certificate is a kind of encryption mechanism that is widely used to secure the data transferring between your website and a visitor’s browser, such as payment and authentication information. Deploying an SSL certificate for your website increases trust and transaction.
There are two types of SSL certificate: free SSL and paid SSL with the different level of encryption and supports. In this guide, we’ll show you how to install an SSL certificate for your website with VPSrobots. And it will put a widely-used certificate authority(CA) – RapidSSL as an example.
Before using VPSrobots, an issued Rapid SSL certificate should be available for the installation:
- Generate a certificate signing request(CSR). A Private Key file is generated alongside the process, which needs to be well kept by yourself and will be required during the later installation.
- Once the CSR has been created, you can proceed to enroll for the certificate.
- After submitting the CSR, a domain validation will be processed to confirm the domain control by sending an email to the administrator listed with the registrar for the domain. In fact, many other CA also provide optional validation manners which includes HTTP and DNS. However, these ways could be more complicated for users especially beginners and may not support to opearte via a console.
- Once approved, the certificate will be delivered to the technical contact. Download your certificate from the unique secure link provided your technical contact via order fulfillment email.
- Unzip the download files to get the following certificates:
- ssl_certificate.crt, i.e. the issued SSL certificate.
- IntermediateCA.crt, i.e. Intermediate CA certificate.
For now, you can use VPSrobots to install the certificate for your website:
- Step 1
Hook into your server via VPSrobots. Once hooked, navigate to Websites tab >> Click Setting button after the website where you will install the certificate.
- Step 2
This opens the Config Panel of the site.
First, click SSL section and switch on SSL status.
Next, click the folder icons after the blanks to upload the corresponding certificate files to your web server, as shown in the table below:
Note: the private key file has been generated alongside the CSR.
|Blank||Certificate file to upload|
|Private Key||yourdomainname.key (e.g vpsrobots.key)|
Click OK to make the configuration effect. By now you have successfully installed an SSL certificate on your website.
We hope this article gives you a successful start on installation of an SSL certificate. Here is another guide on How to install a Namecheap SSL certificate with VPSrobots